CAREER OPENING: COST ESTIMATOR
P&M is seeking a well-rounded, mid to senior level construction cost estimator to support various types of construction projects including transit, infrastructure, airports, utilities and waste water projects primarily in the Greater Seattle area.
Successful candidates must demonstrate strong personal initiative and the ability to work independently and as a team. Have the ability to perform multiple tasks, prioritize, organize, and complete assigned tasks under time constraints. Estimating accuracy, working knowledge in On-screen Take-off software, strong written and verbal skills, presentation and communication abilities are a must. Good working knowledge of commercial estimating software is a plus. Ability to perform Conceptual and Engineer’s estimates is preferred; as we develop/review estimates at several design levels.
- Understand the principles and methodology of construction cost estimating from a consulting estimating perspective
- Interface with customers, project managers, design and engineering staff, including self-management of estimating work-load
- Develop conceptual to definitive engineer's construction estimates
- Estimate most divisions of work for a given project
- Follow a standard work breakdown structure
- Estimate man-hours and crew-hours for a given construction activity, coupled with the ability to adjust for these hours within the software package
- Translate construction activities into estimated costs
- Perform quantity take-off across multiple divisions of work
- Possess strong ability to develop, write and communicate major assumptions, exclusions and clarifications in a Basis of Estimate document
- Possess a networking attitude to maintain, promote and build up or grow the cost estimating business• Develop and maintain cross-discipline relationships within the estimate team
- Knowledge of AACE Estimating Classifications and Recommended Practices
- Implement estimating methods that support the level of effort requirements or estimate classification
- Some knowledge of non-construction costs or soft-costs for engineering, services during construction and other owner related costs
- Develop estimates in the accuracy and level of detail required for the intended purpose of the estimate
- Demonstrate a proven track record of accurate construction cost estimates
ENVIRONMENT: Will generally work in an office environment with occasional field visits to project sites in the Greater Seattle area. Travel and/or assignment to local client offices might be required. Candidate will work as part of an estimating team under the instructions of Director of Estimating. Willingness to learn new ideas, methods and techniques will lead to more challenging projects with leadership roles. The candidate will be expected to obtain a professional certification in estimating within two years of employment.
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS: To be considered applicants should submit the following information 1) Resume 2) Cover Letter 3) Project List including type of project, value of project, your position on project 4) Work references and/or letters of recommendation (optional, but encouraged)
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Additional experience from general contractor environment and other project controls specialties (for example, cost engineering, value engineering, takeoff tools, purchasing, BIM, or document controls) is a plus.
ABOUT US: Planning and Management Services, Inc. (P&M) was founded in August 2002 and is a highly results-oriented Small Business Enterprise (SBE) specializing in various project delivery methods, providing state of the art cost engineering, project controls and program management services. P&M has an established reputation with a growing list of clientele for providing dependable, reliable, quality services. We value our staff as a critical component of our success.
P&M is an equal opportunity employer that is driven towards employee professional advancement offering medical/dental, vacation/sick leave, profit sharing eligibility and 401k.